This muffin is one of my proudest creations. It is unbelievably soft and suitable for everyone. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids thanks to the walnuts and flaxseed. Most of the sweetness comes from the banana and apple sauce so it is a winner on that front too. It keeps well for 2-3 days but is best enjoyed slightly warm and fresh out of the oven. I certainly can’t seem to wait much longer than that!
It can be difficult to find baking recipes that are compliant with strict whole foods plant based ways of eating, for those who generally for medical reasons avoid all oils and most fats. If this applies to you, please omit the walnuts and added sugar.
- 3.5 medium bananas mashed
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat fan oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Mash bananas thoroughly so there are no lumps and add the plant milk, cinnamon, vinegar, flour and flaxseed and mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the contents of the dry mixture to the wet bowl and combine until evenly mixed, taking care not to over-mix or you’ll get a doughy texture.
- Lightly grease 8 silicone muffin moulds and add the mixture (it will rise).
- Bake for between 25-30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the muffin and it should come out (almost) completely clean.
- Let cool before storing in an airtight container for a few days. It makes a delicious breakfast or healthy snack for the office.